Wednesday, May 7, 2014

DIY Mother's Day Photo Blocks

Mother's Day is THIS SUNDAY and if you are still trying to figure out what to get your mom, let me help you! 
This is a quick and easy project and it is something they will always treasure. 
Whether you want to do this for your mom from you, for your mom from the grandkids, or for your wife from you and/or the kids, this is your project!!!


Okay, so here are the easy steps to making these adorable blocks!

Step one, sand your blocks.  I had my husband cut these blocks out of wood we already had lying around in the garage.  He used a 2x4 and cut them about 5" in length (but you make them the size you want!)
Since he used a miter saw, I had to lightly sand the edges to smooth it up a bit and avoid splinters!

Next step is to spray paint them.  I used flat spray paint (this time I used Valspar since my husband was going to Lowe's and they don't carry Rustoleum, which is what I usually use.) I chose white for my mother's blocks and black for my Mother-In-Law's blocks in order to match their home décor.  I sprayed one side and all the edges then waited about 30 minutes to dry and flipped them over to spray the other side and edges again.

After the blocks were dry, it was time to apply the photos.  I had already cropped and cut them to size (note: you will want to print them on cardstock in order to get the look you want).
I applied a medium thick coat of Mod Podge onto the back of the photo and smoothed it evenly onto the block.  I then flipped it over, photo side down, to dry. 

When the photos were dry, I took the blocks back outside to sand the edges again.  I like the distressed look and sanding the edges of the blocks AND the photos give it that vintage look.  I did have to trim up some of the sides on a few blocks, but it didn't matter if my cuts were uneven because the sanding took care of that!

 Next, I applied the letters.  For my Mother-In-Law's I used vinyl letters (which I cut out using my Cricut), but for my mom's I had to use cardstock because the white vinyl letters got lost in the photos and I didn't have blue vinyl.  It works just as well.  Since the cardstock doesn't have a sticky back like the vinyl, I put a little Mod Podge on the back of the letter and 'glued' it on!  Voilà!
(If you don't have a Cricut, you can purchase letter stickers in the scrapbooking section of your favorite craft store).

I then applied one more 'thin' layer of Mod Podge over the photo to seal it in.  I applied it a little thicker over the cardstock letters for an extra seal!
When the Mod Podge was dry I thought I was done, but it still needed a little something.  So, I added a little flare with the jute and buttons!  I love the way it turned out.


Perfect gift, right?! 


Okay, your turn!  Happy Mother's Day!!!

1 comment:

  1. those are such great pictures. and a great project too!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover